What is HEPA?
HEPA stands for High Efficiency Particulate Arrestance. It is a special type of extended surface, deep-bedded, randomly positioned fibrous material media. The True HEPA Filter was developed during World War II by the Atomic Energy Commission and was designed to remove radioactive dust particles from the air, which might escape and present a health hazard to the researchers. Radioactive dust particles only attract and adhere to HEPA material.
True HEPA Filters are regarded as the best form of air filtration. Hospitals, laboratories, even NASA spend thousands and even millions of dollars to create contamination free environments called Clean Rooms to help eliminate foreign particles, infectious agents, heavy metal particles, and a variety of other undesirable contaminants.
Are all HEPA Filters the same?
For a filter to be called “True HEPA”, it must be “Certified”, in that it can remove a minimum of 99.97% of all particles 0.3 micron and larger, on the first pass of air going through it. The HEPA Filter becomes more efficient as it becomes dirtier with time.
Not all HEPA Filters are True HEPA. Hospital Grade, Commercial Grade or High Alpha HEPA filters may be as low as 95% efficient on 0.3 micron and are still considered HEPA. HEPA-Type or HEPA-Like filters are simply impersonators. They are lower cost and not as efficient as a True HEPA Filter. For example, “leather-like” is vinyl. Only leather is leather.
Are all Whole-House HEPA Air Cleaners the same?
NO, all HEPA Air Cleaners are NOT the same! Some HEPA Air Cleaners have True HEPA Filters, but they do not deliver true HEPA status in the clean air stream. There is not a tight seal between the HEPA Filter and the cabinet, thereby allowing air gaps and blow-by. Some popular HEPA brands deliver as low as 85% efficiency, although their packaging and advertising would lead the consumer to believe they are 99.97% efficient.
All Five Seasons HEPA Air Cleaners contain Certified True HEPA Filters and are also True HEPA Air Cleaners.
How do HEPA Air Cleaners work?
As millions of airborne particulates and gases travel through your heating/cooling system 4-5 times every hour, the HEPA Air Cleaner connects to the return air duct and diverts 1/3 to 1/2 of this dirty air through a 2 or 3-stage filtration system. Your home can reach as many as 67 whole-house air changes/day depending on your house size and model chosen. And when you add a Five Seasons or Electro-Air Electronic or Media Air Cleaner to your return air, your home can achieve 96+ whole-house air changes/day. It’s more effective than any single air cleaning system on the market!
By-Pass Style Air Cleaner:
Duct Mounted Style Air Cleaner:
Why purchase a HEPA Air Cleaner?
- Indoor pollution levels can be 25 times and occasionally 100 times more polluted than outdoor air, according to the EPA.
- A High Efficiency Media or Electronic Air Cleaner is not enough to filter the millions of pollutants generated and infiltrating our homes daily. A HEPA Air Cleaner combined with an Electronic or Media Air Cleaner will provide much finer air filtration.
- In the event of world disaster such as biological warfare or nuclear fallout, the HEPA Air Cleaners can capture biological contaminants, along with radioactive dust. An ounce of prevention is worth of pound of cure.
- Allergy, asthma or respiratory sufferers will feel a significant difference in air quality.
- Housekeeping time will be drastically reduced.
- New home owners and renovators will be greatly protected from the excessive dust and odors off-gassed from new carpets, construction materials, paints, etc.
- Households with pets, offensive cooking odors and mustiness will find a noticeable difference in air quality.